Spotlight on FRC Programs
WINTER HAT/GLOVES/SCARVES DRIVE - Deadline: Jan 26
The FRC & G.O. Club are collecting NEW hats, gloves and scarves for children & adults. Deadline for drop off @ NMS is Jan 26th. Call your FRC with any questions!Family Resource Center
HOLIDAY GIVING 2017
As part of NMS efforts to make the holidays special for our struggling families, the FRC will be collecting gifts cards to Shoprite, Target, MC/Visa until December 19th. Donations can be dropped off in the Main Office.Family Resource Center
COAT DRIVE 2017
The FRC and G.O. Club will be collecting new and gently used coats - adults and children sizes - until December 19th. Donation can be dropped off at NMS collection box near security desk.Family Resource Center
Waldron Terrace HW Club Meet & Greet
Join us at the Waldron Terrace Community Room. Meet Principal Johnson, your Homework Club teachers, and FRC Coordinator! Thursday, Nov. 2nd at 5:30pm. Pizza Dinner!Family Resource Center
Parent Conferences with Translation/Traduccion/Tradiksyon
Contact the FRC if you need translation assistance in Spanish or Creole during parent teacher conferences. Llame a la FRC si necesita ayuda con traduccion durante reuniones de padres. Si ou bezwen (ou pito) èd ak traduksyon en Kreyòl, tanpri kontakte Wanda Octavania, Koòdonatè FRC. 845-353-7214Family Resource Center
Welcome Night @ Nyack Center - Oct 24th, 5:30pm
Meet your school principal, staff, FRC and Dr. Montesano. Free Dinner and Childcare! Raffle Prizes! See Flyers below: English, Spanish & Creole.Family Resource Center
Waldron Terrace HW Club Starts Wednesday, October 18
The Waldron Terrace HW Club provides academic support and access to technology to our students and their families at Waldron Terrace. This FREE program runs every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 5-6pm.Family Resource Center
Lunchtime Student Groups!
Contact the FRC to learn more about Girls Circle (6th & 7th gr), Positive Action Club (8th gr) and our new Boys Council (6th gr). All groups are held once a week during the student's lunch period.Family Resource Center
WELCOME BACK BIENVENIDOS!
Your FRC is back. Let's make this the best year yet! Questions or concerns? Call 845-353-7214Family Resource Center
Sponsor a Student / Book Bag Buddy 2017-18
Help the Nyack Middle School FRC ease the financial burden on families related to school events and activities. Sign up TODAY to "Sponsor a Student" or become a "Book Bag Buddy." We can make a difference, once family at a time!Family Resource Center
Wanda Octaviano, FRC Coordinator
Speaks Spanish / Se Habla Espanol
Office Hours: 8:30am to 1:30pm, Mon-Fri
Welcome to the Nyack Middle School Family Resource Center
The Nyack Middle School Family Resource Center (FRC) is here for YOU and YOUR FAMILY
- The FRC is a family engagement program dedicated to strengthening the link between family, school and community to ensure the success of EVERY child, pre-K through 8th grade.
- All FRC services and programs are FREE to Nyack Public School families.
- The FRC collaborates with teachers, administrators, community leaders and other partners, building connections to ensure that vital resources are more accessible and responsive to the changing needs of ALL families. We are here to support you as an active partner in your child's education. The FRC is funded by the Nyack District and Rockland 21C.
- Research shows that family involvement in middle school has direct links to youth's academic success and social outcomes. The Nyack Middle School Family Resource Center's main goal is to help you, help your child during these challenging years.
- Please call anytime for information, answers to your questions and referral requests regarding school, district or county wide services, programs, events, community service opportunities and more!
- Watch our short video of FRC activities! Click Here: NMS FRC 2015-2017
DONATION STATION is a program that anonymously connects specific needs to students and families in need or in crisis. When we find out about a need, the FRC sends out an email request to families on the Donation Station List. If someone would like to donate, they simply reply back to the FRC. The FRC will then connect the person in need with the donated item (for example: clothing, coats or school supplies). Please call if you would like to be added to our email list to receive donation requests OR if you have a specific need you would like to report.
All Family Resource Center Programs and Services are FREE to Nyack School District families.
How the FRC Helps Families
- Parent Advocacy & Support
- Community and District Resources including support groups, healthcare and insurance referrals, family services, student volunteer opportunities, summer camp information, and more.
- Information Articles Library
- Outreach and Informational Events
- Translation Services in Spanish and Creole
- Free School Supplies available to students all year long
- Monthly FRC Newsletter - English and Spanish
How Families Can Help Families
The FRC coordinates a variety of charitable programs. Here are some of the ways that YOU can help throughout the school year:
- Donation Station - Join our email list and donate when you can.
- School Supplies - We collect school supplies all year long - especially binders! Donations can be dropped off in the Guidance Office.
- Thanksgiving Supermarket Gift Card Drive - Instead of food items, the FRC gives families the opportunity to make their own food choices with supermarket gift cards.
- Coat/Winterwear Drive in collaboration with NMS G.O. Club
- Holiday Giving - In collaboration with NMS staff, the FRC collects supermarket and other gift cards for our most vulnerable students and their families.
- Sponsor a Student - Sponsor a student and cover the cost of PTA or school-sponsored, fee-based events, trips or activities for the year.
FRC Newsletters / Que Pasa FRC?
FRC Student Programs
- Positive Action Club for 8th Graders - A nationally recognized, evidence-based school program focused on the philosophy that “we feel good about ourselves when we do positive actions” and that “there is always a positive way to do everything, no matter how difficult a situation may seem.” The club is co-facilitated by Wanda Octaviano, Nyack Middle School Family Resource Center Coordinator, and Dornzella Milligan, Student Support Services Preventions Coordinator at Nyack High School. The Positive Action Club meets every Tues. and Thurs. during lunch, Oct 11 through Dec 15th.
- Waldron Terrace Homework Club - A free on-site, afterschool program run by Nyack teaching staff which provides access to academic support and computer technology to middle school students who live in the Waldron Terrace community. Students can attend every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 5-6pm in the Waldron Terrace Community Room, October through June.
- “Take a Free Book” Baskets - Donated books are displayed throughout the school building for students to take and read.
- Lunchtime Drop-in for Students - Sometimes students need a break from the regular school day. The FRC is a welcome haven for some. Light snack and water provided.
- Free School Supplies - Donated school supplies are made available to ANY student who needs them - no questions asked.
- Career Day - The FRC provides career and community service resources to students during lunch periods during the annual "Career Day." Rockland County Youth Bureau is also invited to speak to eligible students about T.E.E.N. Works program.
How To Access Your Child's Class Page Online!
Nyack FRCs Make a Difference
- FRC - In The News: The Nyack FRC was listed by The Journal News as a great place to donate your time and donations. Always call ahead before dropping off any donated items to your school FRC! Journal News - How To Donate to the Needy
- The results of a 2016 United Way focus group on growing and emerging needs in education, income and health in Rockland County identified the Family Resource Center as a SOLUTION to the barriers that prevent Rockland County residents from having their needs met and/or accessing existing services!
- Nyack FRCs rank 1st in the county with the number of basic needs and social service requests answered, reflecting the strong relationships they have built with the community.
- Nyack FRCs lead the county in family and community engagement programming, welcoming parents and encouraging involvement in their children’s learning.
Rockland 21C is a non-profit organization, founded in 1996, that provides best practices, professional development and FRC coordinator support and training. Rockland 21C supports FRC programs in Rockland’s eight school districts, Rockland BOCES, teacher centers, colleges, government and business leaders, as well as numerous public and private agencies. Rockland 21C is the very first organization in the nation to develop a county-wide 21C model.